Saturday, May 07, 2005

Computer support

I had been very busy and had not managed to schedule a few hours to visit my daughter and repair the computer she had been using. I had prepared a replacement hard disk drive for her and she had installed it, but it did not work. I could hear her frustration as she followed my instructions. She had mentioned that there seemed to be some plugs not connected to anything, but I dismissed that, thinking that there are usually a few spare plugs inside computers. She felt tempted to throw the computer out the window or to kill it. I went through the procedure again with her on the phone. We discovered that the CD drive and the floppy disk drive were not working, and I suggested that the power may not be connected to them. It was those plugs she had mentioned at the start! I could hear the excitement as the machine began to start up. I thought "only a few more frustrations to go. I hope the modem is not going to be too difficult to set up."
My daughter was a few steps ahead of me as I struggled to find out how to set up the modem. I refused to tell her how to set up the internet connection, and asked that she ring the internet service provider's customer support line. Only a few minutes later I received the following in an email from her.
"Subject: AAARRRRRGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
THANK YU THANK YU THANK YU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's bit-rate or colours are a bit out of it I think but I'm netting again.. THANK YOU!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home