Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Anzac Day 25 April 2005

I went to see the dawn service at the Shrine of Rememberance in Melbourne. The service started at 6 am, and a large crowd had gathered by then. After the service, I went into the shrine. I had never been in there before. Hundreds of other people were in line before me, and I consider it was worth waiting for. The awsome stone structure with daylight shining in through the middle of the roof. In the centre of the floor is the rememberance stone with the words "GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN" I felt very grateful for those people who had fought for the peace and freedom I enjoy in Australia. I decided to ring my uncle who had fought in the Second World War. He mentioned that he had recently visited Melbourne, and seen a play at the Atheneum Theatre. It was a story about Edward Dunlop and his diaries from the war. My uncle knew Edward Dunlop during the war, and recommended that I see the play. The following evening I saw that play. I was very moved as I saw it. For the following few days I felt very humble as I recalled that experience.
A few days later, my uncle sent me some drawings from his time in the war. and I have put some up on a website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home